As an Affiliate, if you click on one of my affiliate links in a post and choose to buy something, I will get a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Witch hazel is a shrub with delicate yellow flowers and a mild fragrance. Essential oil is collected from this plant’s leaves and flowers to use in an astringent lotion because it provides multiple health benefits. If you are interested in using natural herbs for holistic or homeopathic care, witch hazel is often recommended. Witch hazel can help with many things, from skin issues to reducing inflammation and swelling of the skin.
When you have a small cut or scrape on your skin, applying witch hazel can eliminate the bacteria so that you don’t get an infection. You can continue to use witch hazel on the wound for a few days as it heals. Do this slowly and carefully so as not to irritate the injury further.
Health Benefits of Witch Hazel: Relieving the Pain of Ingrown Toenails
When you have an ingrown toenail, it can cause a lot of pain throughout your entire foot. After trimming the toenail correctly, you can apply witch hazel to the torn skin to relieve your discomfort.
Stopping the Swelling and Discoloration from a Bruise
If you have a bruise anywhere on your body, you should make a poultice with a damp cloth covered with witch hazel. Place this poultice on the bruise several times daily to stop the discoloration or swelling from bruises.
Health Benefits of Witch Hazel: Another excellent health benefit of witch hazel is its wonders for your skin and complexion.
- Reduce Inflammation and Redness: The first main benefit your skin gets from using witch hazel is to reduce redness and irritation. Inflammation is not necessarily harmful since it is your skin’s way of protecting you from harm. But it can come with irritation and redness, which might not be what you want. If you tend to get a lot of skin inflammation, you don’t want to use harsh chemicals that might make it worse. Witch hazel is a beautiful natural anti-inflammatory that can replace all those expensive skin care products that aren’t doing much but putting a dent in your wallet.
- Natural Treatment for Acne: Are you someone that struggles with acne, such as pimples and zits? If so, witch hazel to the rescue! Allowing you to control your acne without putting harsh chemicals on your skin. First, witch hazel works like a natural astringent on your skin, helping to reduce the amount of oil in your pores and reduce redness. It can also help to cut back on the bacteria growing on your skin, which further keeps away acne. Use it on severe acne or break with open sores on your face, which could cause more irritation.
- Tighten Your Skin’s Pores: Another great way that witch hazel works on your skin is by tightening your pores. When you have open pores, you get a lot of oil and dead skin cells that clog the pores and lead to acne and breakouts. To avoid this, you need an excellent way to tighten your pores, which is a beautiful benefit you get by using witch hazel on your skin.
- Reducing the Oiliness of Your Skin: If you have oily skin, you should use witch hazel lotion on your face to cleanse the excess sebum that causes acne. You can pour witch hazel on a cotton ball several times daily to rub away the sebum that collects in your skin’s pores. Just be careful with your witch hazel oil to avoid getting it in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Treating Difficult Skin Rashes: If you have eczema or psoriasis, witch hazel can help repair your skin so it doesn’t peel. You can pour a small amount of witch hazel into your bathwater each night to soothe your itchy skin. If you have extra sensitive skin, test the witch hazel on a tiny area first.
Not everyone can benefit from witch hazel. Some skin conditions might react badly to witch hazel. It’s an astringent on your skin, so if you have rosacea, it could further irritate and worsen the situation.
Remember that witch hazel might also be used with other natural remedies, like Aloe Vera, coconut oil, and herbs or essential oils. Make sure you use it in small doses first to see how it works for you, and always talk to your doctor if any issues arise.
I hope this helps or at least gives you something new to think about and engage with me on Instagram for more great learning adventures.